19 May 2008

All Quiet...at MaP, at least

The Deerfield bubble, I believe, does not just apply to Deerfield.
I am finding it even more difficult to keep up with current events here at MaP than at home. But I have managed to check a bit on Africa via BBC.com, and have discovered: that in Zimbabwe, Mr. Tsvangirai has not returned to his country to begin a campaign for president in a run-off against Mr. Mugabe; in Mozambique, police will now be required to follow a fitness regimen; and terrifyingly, in South Africa, vicious attacks, including fire, vandalism, rape, beatings, and other violence, have been carried out against many foreigners residing in the country - especially focused upon the estimated 3 million Zimbabweans who have fled to Johannesburg and other parts of South Africa.
Many people here in Botswana have a relatively negative view of South Africa; yes, they might go to some of the good colleges which do exist there, but in general it is viewed as an unsafe, dangerous place to visit. Zimbabwe has become a bit of a...not a joke, but a counter-character. Jokingly, one teacher said, "I am now from Zambia. I used to be from Zimbabwe but I have relocated." Obviously this man can't change where he was born, but the embarrassment or disappointment about Zimbabwe is pretty widespread.
But submitting to the bubble effect, I'm hoping to go out and take some photographs this afternoon. I'll be sure to post them when I get the chance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We look forward to seeing your photos! Love, M (trying to leave comment as anonymous!)

Anonymous said...

you should get facebook so you can upload + share all your pictures quickly and easily