23 May 2008

Birthdays, Yesterdays, and Tomorrows

Happy birthday today to my mother! I love you!
Yesterday, I was not too busy to post anything...in fact, quite the opposite. I felt that nothing had happened all day that I could write about. But yesterday evening, I had quite a good time. My friend in the Alumni/Development office took another exchange student (Aaron) and me out to dinner. We went to an Indian place, and then went to an Italian place next door for dessert.
I checked out Books 3 and 4 of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books from the school library yesterday. I'm hoping to get them read this weekend. Apparently the author visits MaP each year - hopefully I'll be here to see him!
Tomorrow, I have a service project, visiting Camphill, a residence, school, and community for children and adults with disabilities, at 8 o'clock in the morning. Following that I'll be going to Jessica's house. I'm glad that I'll be getting a change from the cafeteria food!
Yesterday in my homeroom class, I was surprised to read on a poster that Botswana's life expectancy rate was only 33 years. I asked my roommate whether this was true, and she too was incredulous. I checked the CIA World Factbook for verification, and unearthed some interesting figures. According to the CIA World Factbook for Botswana, the life expectany is about 50 years. Higher, but still rather low. Only 3.9% of the population is over 65 years old, compared to 12.7% of the United States. One major reason for Botswana's low life expectancy is a high prevalence of HIV/AIDS. In 2003, 37.3% of the adult population was infected with HIV - 350,000 people. Yet because Botswana's total population is so low, the U.S. with a 0.6% prevalence rate actually has more than twice as many people living with HIV. Yet despite these rather depressing figures, Botswana has a literacy rate of 81.2%, with the literacy rate of females a few tenths of a percent higher than that of males. Their economy is growing - despite an unemployment rate of 24%, some of whom I assume are subsistence farmers.
Off to be lonely some more...oh well. Perhaps I will run into some friends on the way back to the dorm.

No comments: