20 May 2008

Photos by a Foreigner

Below: taken at Heathrow airport, while reclining in a curvy red couch during my 9-hr layover.
Above: my first glimpse of Africa! Flying from Heathrow to Johannesburg overnight, morning dawned as we flew over Botswana, where I captured this lovely sunrise.
Below: Welcome to Maru-a-Pula! A mural gracing the first wall you see as you drive in past the gate. This sculpture/mural is only a couple of years old.

Above, the girls' boarding house - GBH. Not too glamorous, but comfortable enough.
Below, the cafeteria. Each day there is a vegetarian option, but, surprisingly to me, considering the growing season in Africa, hardly any fruit. Perhaps a continual water shortage has something to do with the lack of fruit...

Above: The front of Maitisong, the cultural center of Gaborone located at MaP. Unfortunately, the stage decorations from the arangetram are gone. I sat in the "pit".
Below: the upper portion of Maitisong.
Above: Exterior view of the library.
Below: Interior of the library.
Above: The marimba room.
Below: The bass marimba...note the huge gourd resonators!

Above: The lead soprano marimba, which I have been playing most. I had my first lesson with the marimba teacher today, and learned a lot - although whether I will remember it tomorrow is questionable!

1 comment:

sp said...

I am new to this and haven't the faintest idea if you received my first blog identifying myself. I read a wonderful mystery set in Botswana and I'm really enjoying your writing and photos. The stories touch on pride about their politics, cultural and the land itself. It touches a bit on the orphans too. Although we have not visited Africa we know many people who have live there trying to help in their own ways and we hosted a safari guide from Tanzania who had just graduated from college and was starting a school with his wife. They were desperately trying to keep the girls safe from rape and AIDS. Our neighbors daughter married man from Rwanda who was the only one of his family not killed as they were trying to escape. My husband's Aunt was a teacher in Madagascar and we have many wonderful reminders in our house. Thank you for your wonderful writing and photos! SP