24 August 2010

Attack of the Cherry Tomatoes


I went out to the garden, armed with two quart buckets and sandals. We've been getting a drizzly rain almost constantly for the last couple of days, so my usual barefoot approach wasn't going to fly - and never mind the scores of overripe split cherry tomatoes littering the ground! In 5 minutes, I was carrying two overflowing baskets back to the house and pondering what to do with my bounty. I decided to make crepes.
I had a slight problem. I'd used up all the eggs making biscotti (post to come soon!) and my pancake mix didn't thin well. I had, however, picked up a package of corn tortillas yesterday, planning to make a dish with peaches. Seeing as tomatoes and tortillas tend to go well together, it was an easy transition.
This might be the best savoury dish I have ever made, factoring in the fact that it's very quick, easy, and inexpensive. The sweet cherry tomatoes go wonderfully with the salty and tangy feta and the heavy-handed thyme, and the balsamic reduction adds another sweet tang. Mmmm.

Cherry Tomato Tortillas
6 cherry tomatoes per tortilla
small corn tortillas
1 tablespoon herbs de provence (ours had gone missing, so I used a garlic&herb mix, thyme, and...I can't remember!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar per tortilla
1 tablespoon feta per tortilla

1. Heat olive oil in a frypan. Add cherry tomatoes, halved. If their juice is hesitant to come out, squish them a bit with a wooden spoon. Add the herbs de provence.
2. Heat balsamic vinegar in a saucepan. Drain the cherry tomato juice into the balsamic, and boil until it thickens to a sauce consistency.
3. Heat each tortilla in a pan or if all your pans are occupied, in the microwave for 10 seconds on high. Sprinkle the feta on one half of the tortilla, top with the cherry tomatoes, fold over, and drizzle on the balsamic reduction.

No comments: