17 May 2008

Saturday...

This morning I went to see a rugby match. I'd never seen one before, and although I don't really like watching sports usually, it was okay. Pretty violent...I don't know if I'd go see another, maybe if I went with friends, but I'm glad I got to see one game.
"What did you think of the rugby game?" one girl asked.
"Uh, it was okay. Really violent," I replied.
"Haha," she laughed, "that seems to be characteristic of African sports!"
The weather here is very nice. The mornings and evenings have a bit of a chill, but the late mornings and afternoons are sunny and warm. I'm in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt right now, sitting in the shade, and I'm perfectly comfortable. Rain is very rare in the winters, and the air isn't humid at all - it's kind of in the middle, maybe a little more towards the dry side. The weather will get colder in June and July, but at least right now the days are very pleasant, weather-wise.
Campus is very empty. I'd say maybe 50 students board, and 550 are day students. I've been in my room reading most of the day, and I did a load of laundry because this kid spilled blue soda on me at the rugby game. Hopefully I'll work up the courage to leave my room and knock on someone's door soon.
Well, tomorrow marks one week since I've left home. Which means I have...8 or 9 weeks left to go. I'm very excited for SPEs to start - they will make the time past much faster. I talked to the librarian and hope to be helping out there a little next week, so hopefully I can pass the time until everything starts. I didn't make it over to the marimba room to practice today, but I hope to tomorrow. I could also go for a jog around the dirt track here, but I just haven't been motivated.
By the way, if I reject a comment (which just means that it doesn't get published - I still read it), it's because it has a name or other identifying piece of information in it. Obviously people can tell who I am by what I write, but just to make it a little more difficult... ;-)
I miss and love you all. I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone about Botswana culture/events so you'll have to wait for some interesting stuff about the place, rather than about me...

No comments: