16 May 2008

First Day of Classes!

The class schedule here works on a 6-day rotation. Today was a Day 3. I had physics, art, English, economics, geography, and math. On Monday I'll have history and marimbas instead of two of those.
My classes have about 15 or 20 people. My physics teacher was very good, so I'll look forward to that class. The art rooms are still undergoing renovations so we didn't really have class today. My English teacher is very nice, and was interested in the difference between her class and my class at Deerfield. My economics class was very loud - apparently a lot of the "slackers" take that class or something - but the teacher tried her best to keep control. She is from Ghana, and whenever she said anything about the culture of Botswana the class would erupt in contradictions. My geography teacher is okay, and I really like my math class.
Today, I went to the library and found some Tswana (Setswana) books. Even though they were reference, I got to check them out because the library closed early due to lost electricity. The guy who checked me out was very skeptical about learning - he and pretty much everyone else have said that it is very difficult. We'll see...
Not much goes on here during the weekends. Pretty much everyone goes home except my roommate (of course!) and a few other girls. So I'm planning on working on my Tswana and reading - hopefully I'll finish the autobiography of Malcolm X. I checked out a few summer reading books from the library today, so I only have them for two weeks - and I want to get them read! I'll try to be social, but not many people are around...
The dorm rooms are about the same size, maybe a little larger, than the rooms at Deerfield...except the ones here are for two people! I have a bed, a desk, shelves, and a closet - same for my roommate. The day students are not allowed in the dorm!! It is two stories and has four corridors. Rather plain. It's rather dark when the electricity goes out...
The stores are nice. I've been to both major malls, GameCity and Riverwalk. They are both about the size of the Hampshire mall in Hadley. Once inside you wouldn't know you were in Gaborone...you could just as easily be in Holyoke or any other city.
All the academic buildings (each contains about 3 classrooms) look very much the same, so I have trouble finding classes...luckily a network of students took me to each one today, and hopefully I'll find people on other days too.
Hopefully I'll be able to talk to some people about current events and Botswana culture and then be able to write a more professional blog entry...

No comments: