15 May 2008

Sweet!

Finally, I'm on the internet and able to post something the day that I wrote it...

16:14, Thursday 15 May 2008

After a couple shaky days, my schedule has finally gotten sorted out! I'm taking physics, English, math, economics (but I might switch to music composition if I can), history, geography (which is learning about the weather now), and marimba. I'm in Form 5 (11th grade), but I'm joining two Form 3 (9th grade) marimba classes as well as a Form 5 class that meets in the afternoon one day per week. The teacher is also going to give me a one-on-one lesson once a week. I had my first marimba class today and it was a lot of fun.

Today, I randomly met a few girls (all day students) who were very friendly. They offered to take me out into the city sometime – two of them are of Indian descent and want to take me to an Indian dance performance. Hopefully, they are serious and will follow through, and hopefully the friendship will stick. We have a few classes together, and I'm really hoping that I've finally found a few friends!

Yesterday, before shopping, the lady who took me had to go to this function, the opening of a church/community center at this school for disabled children. The whole ceremony was in Setswana, so I didn't understand much, but it is a beautiful language to listen to, so I wasn't bored. I got to meet quite a few influential figures – I shook hands with the former president's brother; as the staff person told me, in the U.S., it's 6 degrees of separation, and in Botswana, it's 2 – at most. A couple of women who are really involved with charity work and belong to the FNB (First National Bank of Botswana) foundation – the foundation that built the church – offered to take me with them on a trip to distribute food in rural Botswana. I'd have to miss a class or two, but I think I can get permission since it's such an incredible opportunity.

I also signed up for SPEs – Service, Physical, Enrichment – activities. I'm going to go to a primary school and help kids read, the same place where the church was built (it was the only thing on the weekends and I didn't want to be bored!) to hang out with the disabled kids, visit at a hospital, I might do yoga and aerobics once a week, and I might play in the orchestra (the girls I met today all play). The only bad thing is that the SPEs don't start until May 28th…two weeks of afternoons with nothing to do! Hopefully I'll be able to work on friendships, and read some, although the library closes at 4:30 (I was just kicked out ;-).

Well, classes tomorrow (finally, I'll be independent and feel comfortable speaking up!) and friends too…I miss you all!

<3

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your Marimba class sounds like fun.
Losing electric without notice must keep things interesting!
How large are your classes? What is the dorm like? What are the stores like? Can you walk to town?
We look forward to your posts-
Love,B,C,D (We're missing our A!)