04 June 2008

The House of Khan (Tuesday 3 June)

"I'm impulsive. I'm sorry." "It's okay. That's what I love about you."
Bee-bomp.
The sound of happily watching an incredibly lovely movie (despite the seeming mushiness from the lines demonstrated above) being interrupted by my laptop telling me that its charger had been unplugged.
Except…it hadn't.
The electricity went out. Earlier than usual, at about 5:10. Usually it goes out at 6:30 or so – but hey, maybe it will come on again earlier. Either that or there's a serious shortage somewhere.
The Green Cup Challenge would love this.

Luckily I had enough power to finish my movie. It was absolutely brilliant. Title: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Watch it if you can find it. The shooting is wonderful, and the plotline is original and incredible. Don't be put off by the actors – it is not Hollywood.

Today I had lunch at my English teacher's house, with her and her two children – three and five years younger than me, although you'd never guess by looking at them! I had a great time, and the food was definitely better than the cafeteria! Some nice rice, a good pasta dish, and roti (Indian bread – kind of like a wheat naan) – and I even got to take some back to the boarding house for dinner tonight…although the return of power so that I can use the microwave might be nice. But everything should be okay at room temp too…Or maybe I'll just go to dinner and have it for breakfast tomorrow.
My teacher's house is incredibly beautiful. A lovely tiled, elegant roof rising above a sophisticated stucco exterior opened into a pristine interior with lovely couches and a beautifully set table.

We had cold weather and rain, so badminton was cancelled. Hence, I watched my movie (borrowed from a kind staff member) instead. And enjoyed it immensely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was i the one who recommended eternal sunshine of the spotless mind to you?? i know i definitely recommended it to someone at our school.........

i actually didn't like sunshine as much as i liked other gondry (the collected works or whatever was great, i remember). i thought sunshine was all right, four stars out of five, but i remember the dialogue occasionally irking me and the whole... running to escape the erasing of memory schtick really outstayed its welcome. the first half hour was pretty cringe-inducing too. the middle was good, but the movie took a while to warm up. also, i can't remember any significant statement made in the film, even in a glancing way, which is always a bad sign (i guess: one should live in the present and cease modification of the past?). i did rewatch the movie on a cold train with my mom though and that was heartwarming.