09 August 2009

Kiss Me, I'm Vegan: Salsa Spaghetti

During a grocery excursion to Trader Joe's, a carton of heirloom tomatoes caught my eye. Their bright colors and variations promised a lovely salsa! After making salsa (by chopping the aforementioned tomatoes, adding lime juice, cilantro, and a hot pepper), I realized that although salsa has traditional been relegated to tortilla chips, why not branch out? My mother had made some wheat spaghetti but the oppressive heat and humidity deterred me from turning on the stove. I opened the fridge to grab the half-full can of black beans and saw my salsa. Although the fridge light did not come on, one in my mind did: why not make the salsa into a raw tomato sauce? I tossed in a few beans to give the sauce a bit more substance and added some fresh cilantro to pick it up a bit, and pureed it all together. Poured over hot whole wheat spaghetti and topped with a handful of black beans and a couple tomato halves, it made a lovely summer dinner.

2 comments:

Aunt Judy said...

Wow, only five more days!! Are you all packed? i will be looking for all your exciting happenings. And one last trip to a college, so glad you will get to see Grandma before you leave. Get lots of last days of driving in!!!
This is the third comment I wrote, hope it gets sent this time. Love, Aunt Judy

JLN said...

This was a frequent meal for me at our lovely school. Unfortunately I don't think I enjoyed it as much as you did! I'm so excited for your posts from SPAIN!!