07 September 2009

Estoy Aquí (5.9.09)

I am writing from my bed in my new room in Zaragoza. Carmen, my host mother, has taken her father for a walk and instructed me to put away my things in the ample space she has provided.

Waking up this morning, I was thankful for the bed after trying to sleep on various airplanes and buses during the journey to Spain. I was also confused: where was I? Why were my things hung up in this strange room? Then I remembered: for the next nine months, this is home.

Since 10 o’clock last night (it is currently 10:24 am here), I have spoken and heard nothing but Spanish. (If this entry isn’t very eloquent, I apologize – trying to speak in Spanish and write in English is still difficult!) I understand most everything that Carmen says, but I cannot always find the words to craft the reply I’d like to give. I’m still unaccustomed to using the Spanish “vale” instead of the English “okay”.

I’m surprised at how difficult it is to write in English after only one day! With a Spanish radio talk show in the background, of which I can only catch a few words (I know they are talking about China!), my brain feels a bit overwhelmed. Entonces, I will pick up the Spanish-English dictionary and memorize a few new words!

3 comments:

Aunt Judy said...

AManda, keep these posts coming, love reading them. Maybe you will improve my spanish too! Love, Aunt Judy

Aunt Judy said...

AManda, This may be my second comment, don't know if the first one got sent. Sure did enjoy reading, keep them coming.
Uncle Doug and I are settling into our camper, we are on an adventure too!
Love, Aunt Judy

Aunt Judy said...

Loved the pictures! Almost felt like I was there with you, well, I am in spirit. Looking forward to your next post. Cows get here tomorrow, YIKES!!!
Love, Aunt Judy