07 September 2009

Despúes de Tres Noches

Three nights and I’ve managed to make some more complex sentences: the past subjunctive, reflexive preterite. I do find it difficult, however, when the radio is playing an American song which I know while a Spanish conversation occurs. The two languages fight for my attention and I find myself unable to contribute to the talk. Luckily, a lot of the other students also want to speak Spanish, so I was able to speak almost entirely in Spanish at the first day of school today.
On Sasturday night, Carmen invited three of her friends to dinner at her apartment. I told myself that I wouldn’t be shy, but I found myself just listening most of the evening. The friends took this as a sign that I didn’t speak much Spanish and decided to practice their English with me. “¿Cómo se dice piña en inglés?” “Pineapple.” However, the “a” sound in “apple” doesn’t exist in Spanish (and some types of English omit it as well – for example, the British pronunciation of “gas” varies from the American one).
Carmen’s terrace has the most wonderful view possible – we can see towers of three of the most ornate and grand churches of Zaragoza.
Yesterday the newspaper, the television news, and the radio news were full of notices regarding Afghanistan. Spain’s President Zapatero wants to send another 300 or so Spanish troops to Afghanistan, and there are already quite a few on the ground. However, the images on the news were much more graphic than anything one would see in the United States – interviewing a boy seriously injured by a bomb, footage of bodies being carried away. I realized, however, that I hadn’t actually heard a talk show or read an article or seen images about Afghanistan in the United States for quite some time. I’m excited to continue reading the “Aragón Herald” and discover any more differences.
Today, orientation started – I walked to school and arrive around 8:30 or :45. The first assembly was at 9, and by the end of the day we had taken our placement tests. Classes begin on Wednesday. We walk to another school, el Colegio Montessori, for lunch, and today the Spanish students weren't there. We think they will be tomorrow or Wednesday, though, and I'm very nervous to meet real Spanish people my age!
Right now I am at the library - the biblioteca - of Zaragoza. There is wireless internet here, and it is only a five minute walk from the school. I'm going to try to get a library card after I finish posting this!
Once again, I apologize for the lack of eloquence...switching between languages is un poco dificil!

No comments: